[At-Large] Unsubscribe me please

Winthrop Yu w.yu at gmx.net
Tue Feb 21 01:53:55 UTC 2017

   Didn't know about the At-Large chat, i'm on the ISOC one.

   It's not so much formal versus informal, though yes - it's easier to post a
detailed substantive reply in an email than in a chat. More important for me is
that you can't (not easily) separate, fork or rename threads on a chat.
Everything but the kitchen sink is rolled into one chat thread.

   For example, with the ISOC chat on Skype, i will only rarely check to see
what the last post was about. I will tend to check more often if i know that
"something's up", and sometimes the heads-up for that "something" comes to me
via email lists. With email lists, i can at least readily scan the subject
lines. Also, when it's a substantive discussion, i will send it to a group of
people via email so i can more readily file and retrive it for later reference.

WYn

P.S.  Locally, we use instant messageing for more immediate stuff - coordinating
meetings, back channels during hearings, etc. Our problem here is we have too
many apps - little if any on Skype, some WhatsApp, more on Viber and lots on FB
Mess (which last i uninstalled from my phone within 48 hours of first installing
it).