[At-Large] Unsubscribe me please

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 19:58:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

this would be a software/communications project, for which clear
requirements would be a good start (not the end.)

Use cases and constraints go first, don't they?

The use cases have to be analyzed and documented, and in our case,
discussed and stabilized.

The constraints should include among others: compliance with Internet
standards and best current practice; parsimony in the resources required
(text better than HTML, push better than having to access a dozen or more
Websites), openness, transparency/accountabiilty. Suitability to
low-bandwidth, old operating system and browser, limited-capabilities
devices for people in island/edge conditions, or for busy travellers,
should also be among the desirable properties of any communications system.

Erik and Carlton have already expressed some keystones which favor email or
at least some fundamental properties of email. I join in support.

Joly, call me an "old-timer" if doing so is a suitable way of polarizing
the list. We see all too many "new-timers" discussing ICANN issues with
all-too-scant knowledge and respect for Internet basics. Let's find a
cooperative way that works for all.

Let's hope that the now very long-standing Technology WG/TF takes all this
into account.

Let's also note that the "flurry of unsubscribes to the list" was about...
4 messages? (and it has been explained away.)

Alejandro Pisanty

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:
>
>> it's main and important function is to provide shallow water for new
>> joiners to get their feet wet, get an idea of the community, and a sense of
>> belonging. A newbie playground. The idea being that the keen ones may
>> graduate to traditional vectors such wg's, email lists, wiki's etc
>

> I would not argue that there are more efficient ways to organize the
> communications.  But email is always considered a 'come direct to me' mode
> instead of the 'come find me' mode of the website/wiki/portal modalities
> for communication.
>
> When an ALS is ratified by the ALAC, the email subscription by ALS
> representative to at least the Worldwide list comes with that ratification.
> It follows for pretty much the same reasons -flipped - that Joly outlined
> in the ISOC context.
>
> Just by modeling of a traditional message, a subject line is meant to
> indicate channel.  The response to the subject line in the content body
> would have been a useful indicator of interest and, driver for that
> channelized discussion.
>
> But um...........well.....
>
> -Carlton

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD
+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty