[At-Large] Unsubscribe me please

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Feb 20 13:00:57 UTC 2017

Hello,

please find my comments below:

On 19/02/2017 20:20, Joly MacFie wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
> <mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Maybe exploring the ISOC connect tool
>

> ​I am currently participating in a review of ISOC Connect as to
> whether it should be continue or be replaced. There has been a fair
> amount of grumbling,, especially from the old guard, however one thing
> I have already learned is that, as far as ISOC goes, while some
> Chapters in Africa do use it as their primary avenue of communication,
> it's main and important function is to provide shallow water for new
> joiners to get their feet wet, get an idea of the community, and a
> sense of belonging. A newbie playground. The idea being that the keen
> ones may graduate to traditional vectors such wg's, email lists,
> wiki's etc

The list of problems that ISOC Connect brings is long - the biggest
problem being the inability for cleanly forward a message from the
system to proper email. It contains all sorts of links etc. And you also
have to log in to read its archives. I remind you that the vast majority
of At-Large mailing lists are publicly archived with no need for a
password to consult them.

> There are also other functional nitpicks that are never fixed. Part of
> the problem is that it is a hosted platform (think a glorified Xing)
> and thus no real change can happen unless it is put through on the
> whole platform. OTOH this is possibly less maintenance than a
> standalone such as the FOSS Buddypress.
>
> To some extent the lack of action on At-Large email lists attests to
> the success of the Adobe Connect + Confluence combo, but this may lend
> itself to elitism. I think, like ISOC, At-Large could look at driving
> wider participation.

We have a working group whose sole task is to look at the new
technologies - the Technology Task Force.
https://community.icann.org/x/FpfbAQ
The questions we are addressing are age-old and have been raised in the
first At-Large Review *plus* in the ATLAS II Statement where all of our
ALS representatives came to London and discussed that very problem.
This gave rise to recommendation 26 - a policy management process
system. https://community.icann.org/x/WJZCAw

We have also made a request this year for financing to do into the first
stage of this project: http://bit.ly/2kZCnH0

The TTF also performed various testing of tools:
https://community.icann.org/x/QaM0Aw
https://community.icann.org/x/O1R-Ag

Kindest regards,

Olivier