[At-Large] Idea for an alternative to the EMM proposed in the At-Large Review
Dev Anand Teelucksingh
devtee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 14:04:51 UTC 2017
Here's an idea for an alternative proposal for At-Large to the EMM model
proposed in the At-Large Review
My thoughts - The proposed EMM has flaws. Some immediate ones :
- it destroys the community and with that, the consensus building of
community with replacement
of individuals with even less ties to the public community. Such
individuals will promote and collude with other individuals to keep
themselves in the loop. Also, with many of the policy discussions in GNSO
being English, this permanently eliminates persons from developing/emerging
economies from non-English from ever participating.
- given that any individual could already participate in GNSO, we would be
no different from such random individuals
- it removes the mandate on oversight and accountability on ICANN
activities from end user interests
- a thousand individuals in one large country will override 10 individuals
from a small country so there will be less diversity in the EMM model only
from those countries with large number of individuals.
- Nomcom appointees to ALAC new to ICANN will serve as Liasions to other
groups is not sensible
There are many more problems but I want to focus on a IMO a better At-Large
model than the EMM one:
- ICANN establishes At-Large Chapters in each country similiar in concept
to Rotary or ISOC chapters.
- each chapter is open to anyone interested in ICANN from the interests of
- ICANN can set guidelines for each chapter - some examples: must do
certain level of outreach, have term limits, have a public F2F awareness
meeting to recruit new persons. ICANN would need to provide some funding to
make this happen but this would be small and the chapters can account to
ICANN for expenses.
- ICANN can provide the tools (mailing lists, conference tools) to
facilitate online discussions.
- Because there is a consistent brand - At-Large Chapter in the country,
greatly simplified and easier to explain.
- Given that such chapters are virtual, it makes chapters easy to establish
with only a few individuals from a country without the challenges of having
formal organisations with bylaws and pay taxes.
So an At-Large chapter ends up being a virtual ALS in each country in the
The RALOs will consist of the chapters from each country in the region with
each chapter electing two persons to coordinate the RALO work. The RALO
will be better positioned to better fulfil its MOUs with ICANN and the RALO
and ALAC would not have to bother with analysing whether an organisation
meets the criteria of an ALS.
The At-Large chapters will be better able to network with At-Large chapters
in other countries and build consensus on policy issues and help promote
and grow the At-Large Community.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the At-Large