[At-Large] Fwd: Re: [Chapter-delegates] New version of ICANN At-Large Review - ISOC Chapters role and future

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Tue Feb 7 01:01:23 UTC 2017

Hi all,

almost everything in this description is not true. It has been debunked almost to the point of exhaustion over around fifteen years. Olivier's summary is spot on. We may be spared a repetition of the flame wars by skipping adjectives like "hysterical"and other unnecessary mischaracterizations of the counterparts.

ICANN was indeed very fortunate to get very good Directors elected from Asia-Pacific, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and, in some unexpected ways, from Europe. In all regions the basic flaw was the "truck in your own electorate" that substituted the basics of an election in which the full electorate is able to participate and registered, then have their votes counted. I'll spare everybody the rest of the details.

The way forward now is to acknowledge what has failed in the implementation of the design and fix it, instead of throwing away the baby with the bathwater. The first question we must ask ourselves is whether we are serving the principles and interests of individual Internet end-users; second: if not, how and why; and third, how to ensure we do.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org