[At-Large] Is the .FOOD poisoned?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Nov 16 00:32:21 UTC 2016

On 15 November 2016 at 23:28, <bzs at theworld.com> wrote:

> I don't think policy should be driven on a guess at the likelihood
> that a gTLD might be desirable to end-users or not.

​
Why not?​ So far gTLDs have been given out based in guesses that they'd be
financially stable. There was no market analysis before the expansion round
to deminstrate either demand or viability, so it's all been driven on
guesswork so far.

There is an interest that the world of non-domain-buyers and
non-domain-sellers has in the landscape of the DNS. Arguably that is
EXACTLY what the bylaws mandate At-Large to advance and advise.

> Also, I don't know of any of these .BRAND gTLDs which are doing
> anything out in the wild other than creating SLDs for their products
> or marketing campaigns such as next100.bmw. Which is fine but that's
> not what's being discussed here vis a vis .FOOD.

​We don't know. What we do know is that the open ones, with VERY few
exceptions (ie, dot-bank and maybe dot-ngo) have a ​singular business
model, mostly based on tonnage of domains sold.

> Has any closed TLD actually offered registration to end users?

​They have to be careful how they do it, let they run afoul of the
registrar lobby, er, constituency. Personally, I'm hoping that Google walks
this path because it's consistent with how it's disrupted other fields such
as email and productivity apps.

> There're a lot of RSN speculation or puff pieces on why this is going
> ​ ​
> to be so great.

​Don't know about great; right now the bar is low enough that I'll settle
for interesting or unusual. I do hope that a few of them break out with
innovative ideas of how to use (and monetize) bits of the DNS. Dot-food, as
being one potential branch of a large media company that already works in
print, broadcast and streaming, has a legitimate potential for innovation.
Whether and how Scripps takes advantage of that is anyone's guess.

But whatever they pick, and whether it succeeds or not, it will be more
innovative than yet one more goldrush and sunrise and pool of speculators.

​- Evan