[At-Large] [ALAC] R: IGO names: is this worth war?

Johan Helsingius julf at julf.com
Fri Nov 4 17:31:37 UTC 2016

On 03-11-16 12:19, Vanda Scartezini wrote:
> I am in favor to have such names of International, recognized by UN, but
> it needs to be quite clear – role, recognition of the work etc , or all
> NGO in the world would like to have similar privilege and this will be
> impossible.

I don't think any of us have any real issue with this as such. This
whole "war" is not about whether we want protections for the names
of those organisations or not, but how to go about achieving it. There
is an official process for it in ICANN - the GNSO PDP. Some people/
organisations/governments seem to want to use their position to
circumvent or shortcut that process, but what they forget is that
ICANN, and the relation between ICANN and registrars and registries
is based on formal agreements about Consensus Policies. What GAC
needs to understand is that no matter how much they stomp their
feet and threaten to throw their toys out of the pram, only GNSO
PDPs followed to the letter of GNSO Operating Procedures have
binding effect.

	Julf