[At-Large] Is the Internet Really Free of US Control?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Oct 28 08:28:42 UTC 2016

Dear All

I had circulated the below elsewhere but i forgot to send it here,
thought it may be of relevance. thanks

I wrote this commentary piece in the Economic and Political Weekly of
India on ICANN's oversight transition.

  *Internet Governance: Is the Internet Really Free of US Control?*

"The recent decision of the United States government to cede its control
over the internet’s naming and addressing system to the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a US-based
international non-profit body, is heralded as a significant step towards
the globalisation of internet’s core infrastructure. But with ICANN
having no special jurisdictional immunity and subject to the whims of
the judicial and legislative branches of the US government as well as
many of its executive agencies, the decision seems more symbolic than
meaningful."

http://www.epw.in/journal/2016/42/web-exclusives/internet-governance.html
<http://www.epw.in/journal/2016/42/web-exclusives/internet-governance.html>

parminder