[At-Large] On a "consumer" agenda for ICANN

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Sep 15 01:54:05 UTC 2016

>> Might a narrowing of the idea of the end-user down to those who play an
>> active role in the evolution of end use towards social ends help with
>> framing ALAC’s real role?

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible idea.

Back when I was on the ALAC over a decade ago, it wasn't clear whether
ALAC represented individual vanity registrants (of whom we certainly have
a lot on the ALAC) or actual end users.  We finally realized that we
represent end-users, the billions of people who actually use the Internet
but will never register a domain.  I would be strongly opposed to anything
that back-tracked from that.

Regards,