[At-Large] R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Tue Apr 26 16:02:44 UTC 2016

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> [2016-04-26 11:56:53 -0400]:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:
>> Maybe the ones who raised it don't matter.
>
> It is not that they don't matter, it is that it wasn't deemed to be
> suffiiciently important to take up at the time (or was going to be big
> a lift at that moment).

Perhaps it is no coincidence that a majority of the submissions from
civil society organizations based in India to the ICG raised the issue
of jurisdiction.

But in the final ICG report, there is no explanation (I know, I
searched) as to why the jurisdiction-related concerns raised in those
submissions (as part of WS1 and as part of the ICG's mandate) were
deemed sufficiently unimportant so as not to merit discussion or
reflection in the report.

What an utter farce.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh