[At-Large] R: R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sat Apr 9 23:32:59 UTC 2016

Olivier,

As you stated:

    ...you take the example of Rojadirecta having applied
    successfully for top level domain Rojadirecta - and what you are saying
    is that there could be a request through a US court for this top level
    domain to be removed from the Root. Using your words, that would "take
    down the web presence of the respective businesses" -- all of the domain
    names under .rojadirecta would be affected. Well, you're right. Perhaps
    that's why Rojadirecta prefers operating under a variety of top level
    domains that are not run by a US Registry rather than running its own
    Top Level Domain.

So it seems you agree with Parminder, that .rojadirecta's being forced
to operate under U.S. jurisdiction necessarily results in their seeking
alternatives. I read your position as, if I may paraphrase, "If they're
not willing to abide by U.S. law they should take a hike." And Parminder
is saying "this is unfair, U.S. rules should not be global." I lean
toward Parminder.

But I'm not sure an engagement argument based on aiding a giant
corporation will resonate with our members, who represent the interests
of individual internet users. However, it seems obvious that no single
nation's laws should rule the Internet. As such, it might be appropriate
that an initiative for an equitable and stable global governance process
for the root should begin here.

Best,

Tom