[At-Large] R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sun Mar 27 23:06:53 UTC 2016

On March 27, 2016 at 12:53 johnl at iecc.com (John R. Levine) wrote:

 > I don't understand why we're wasting time with this nonsense.  There is
 > no such thing as "international incorporation" and any plausible UN or
 > treaty alternative would give governments total control.

That was my problem.

I googled "international incorporation" for a while but didn't find
anything useful.

I did find some attorney sites which offered "international
incorporation" but they meant helping a (typically) US corporation add
a new incorporation in another country such as (typically) the Cayman
Islands.

So that was "international incorporation" more in the sense of
"international airport": More than one country of incorporation but
two was sufficient to merit the term.

It seems to be conflated, in this discussion, with an international
treaty organization (ITO) which is well-defined. There is even an
extensive list of ITOs here.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_intergovernmental_organizations

So at least that's plausible. That the term actually exists is
encouraging.

Incorporation is, at least in US law, a fairly specific term. It
creates a fictional legal entity with limited liability and the
ability to, within broad limits, indemnify officers of the corporation
and others. But they are subject to the regulations and laws of the
incorporation jurisdiction, at least. And to engage in political
elections without restraint but let's not go there.

Looking through those organizations most though not all seem to be
chartered under the UN.

I couldn't find an incorporation of any of them, particularly non-UN
(e.g., EiroForum), but I only looked for a few minutes and it occurred
to me that someone more versed in this field could enlighten us
extemporaneously in a few words so why should I even attempt to do
this?

All that said what model, examples would be good, might this new ICANN
resemble?

And, as to difficulty, having located some potential model
organizations why not ask them, where founders are available, how
difficult it was to create them?

Put another way, why do I get the feeling too much of this discussion
is being manufactured de novo as if we were writing a movie script
only limited by our imagination and word juggling abilities?

And if that is the case I move to include a love interest, people
always like a love interest, particularly stakeholders.

--
        -Barry Shein