[At-Large] Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 09:23:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 7:39 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
wrote:

> On Thursday 24 March 2016 10:56 AM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>
> "...What ICANN needs, therefore, apart from coming under international
> jurisdiction, is some kind of external oversight, which, however, need not
> be of governments..."
>
> What does international jurisdiction mean
>

> It means incorporation under international law, and not US law as present.

Okay don't mind my legal illiteracy, does this mean incoporation under a
body like UN? how does/will this work in a normal circumstances; How does
the registration of a company name work when a country is not the source of
registration?

> and what does external oversight
>

> It means, oversight by a body/system which is substantially different from
> where key executive powers reside, and if differently constituted as to not
> have a possible close matching of narrow interests.

Okay so you are referring to a separate body that does what NTIA currently
does? If i may ask, why do you really think you could trust this new body
that will oversight on ICANN; who will oversight this new body you propose?

> mean in practice as I understand that the ICANN board represents both
> external and internal in terms of its composition.
>

> No offence, but I have no idea what this sentence means.

The board has oversight on the organization. Seats on the board is filled
by various SO/AC and also by external people who are not affiliated with
various SO/AC(nomcom selected members). So my point was that there is
already some level of external oversight by the virtue of board's
composition.

> My article is quite specific, for the 1400 words that I had.... In fact it
> is your response to it that requires specifics, and seems to be too vague.
> What exactly 'representing both internal and external' and 'community' mean?

I hope my responses above now helps

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!