[At-Large] Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Mar 24 06:39:01 UTC 2016

On Thursday 24 March 2016 10:56 AM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:

> "...What ICANN needs, therefore, apart from coming under international
> jurisdiction, is some kind of external oversight, which, however, need
> not be of governments..."
>
> What does international jurisdiction mean

It means incorporation under international law, and not US law as present.

> and what does external oversight

It means, oversight by a body/system which is substantially different
from where key executive powers reside, and if differently constituted
as to not have a possible close matching of narrow interests.

> mean in practice as I understand that the ICANN board represents both
> external and internal in terms of its composition.

No offence, but I have no idea what this sentence means.

> The entire community also serve as oversight in one form or the other.

The 'community' term has become like ' ether', existing everywhere, and
in that sense, meaning nothing. But as the concept of 'ether' was
abolished from Physics as meaningless, perhaps loose use of the term
community should be similarly socio-politically abolished.

> It's good to hear specifics.

My article is quite specific, for the 1400 words that I had.... In fact
it is your response to it that requires specifics, and seems to be too
vague. What exactly 'representing both internal and external' and
'community' mean?

Best, parminder