[At-Large] CCWG Briefings - Presentation

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Feb 27 14:47:36 UTC 2016

Dear Parminder,

On 27/02/2016 11:45, parminder wrote:
> As a stop gap measure, before such incorporation under international
> law can be worked out, a new ICANN free from formal NTIA oversight
> should set up a parallel redundant authoritative root in a non US
> location, which is fully primed to work and take over from the US
> based one the moment there is any interference by the US state -
> whether its judicial, legislative or executive branch, either in
> ICANN's policy process, or actual entries in the authoritative root.
> Since Internet's root system works by reputation and 'community
> acceptance' and not by any necessary physical components and linkages,
> this should be easy to work out.. This IMHO would be the best interim
> check on the US state's possibilities to interfere with ICANN/ root
> file business.

In theory, yes, all of what you are saying is possible, except one
thing: has the "US state" ever interfered with the ICANN/root file
business, as you put it? You are speaking of a risk that has been shown
to not exist. I am much less confident of the ability of some other
states to keep their hands off interference with the root...
Kindest regards,

Olivier