[At-Large] [ALAC-Announce] ICANN News Alert -- Notice ofPreliminary Determination To Grant Registrar Data RetentionWaiver Request for Ascio Technologies, Inc. Danmark - filial af Ascio Technologies, Inc. USA

Kan Kaili kankaili at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 03:24:11 UTC 2015

+1  Thank you.     - Kaili

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Wilkinson" <cw at christopherwilkinson.eu>
To: "At-Large Worldwide" <at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:13 AM
Subject: Re: [At-Large] [ALAC-Announce] ICANN News Alert -- Notice ofPreliminary Determination To Grant Registrar Data RetentionWaiver Request for Ascio Technologies,Inc. Danmark - filial af Ascio Technologies, Inc. USA

Good evening:

This question has already been addressed - at lest in part - in the context of the IAG-WHOIS working group earlier this year.

I attach a copy of my comments to their report. The main points, which have been generally supported by the subsequent formal ALAC statement, are:

1. ICANN should apply international best practice in Privacy and Data Protection, world-wide

2. Failing which, in each relevant jurisdiction (e.g. the EU), ICANN should apply a block exemption for all Registries and Registrars concerned. No more individual procedures.
That is one of Roberto's points, below.

I also proposed that:

3. In any event, ICANN should reverse the burden of proof. That is, the default would be that the Registrar/Registry respects applicable law and it is up to ICANN to initiate a contrary procedure should it determine that security and stability is thereby prejudiced. (Since ICANN has never, to my knowledge, suggested that a ccTLD Registry or their Registrars are threatening Security and Stability by respecting applicable laws, I guess that is an extreme outlier case.)

Best regards

CW