[At-Large] Fwd: [] Final Issue Report on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 17:08:24 UTC 2015

In a funny kinda way, Avri's position is the practical outcome. Save and
except we should endeavour to add meaningful protections for the poor slobs
caught in the net. Let me explain.

We say we are for a free market. But those of us who would have been
informed by practical experience know the market is not always a sage in
operation.  So we expect, at minimum, some baseline protections in place to
mediate adverse consumer impact.

Especially in instant case where the domain name market is and remains a
privileged space, booted largely on mercantilist economic precepts; some
vital resource is expropriated and a license is granted to exploit one
corner of the market for this resource by paying an exclusionary license
fee. Like it or not, there is a duty of care imposed on the one granting
the license. And that duty devolves to minimizing harm from market
interactions originating from the licensee.

ICANN gives and ICANN receives. So we have in place data escrow and
archiving concordats, registry failover processes and even commercial
successor planning frameworks in place. All good. But not sufficient. For
these are generally tacking moreso to the operational stability and
reliability of the DNS, with consumer protection a poor second, if at all a
thought.

Sure, you simply cannot protect every consumer from every fool
choice/action they freely take. But we expect some will be taken in
blissful ignorance. So as the regulator, I feel ICANN is duty-bound to full
disclosure and dissemination of all the relevant known caveats; kind of a
master 'caveat emptor' if you will.

-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799