[At-Large] ICANN oversight

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Oct 10 22:47:20 UTC 2015

Parminder,

I have been otherwise occupied most of today, and so others have
already replied and given a number of perspectives.

Although I am the ALAC Chair, what follows is being said purely on my
own behalf.

At-Large has been far from aloof in this debate. You are correct that
we have not contributed hundreds of posts to the mailing list over
the last few days, but I think that speaks more to our self-control
than anything else. We have been very clear in our formal comments,
and we have been very active in the sub-groups refining the CCWG proposal.

You are also correct that we have not been among the "firebrands" who
have been advocating more radical community control over the ICANN
Board. This is not accidental, and there are several reasons for this.

1. The position we have taken is not that of a single person. There
has been a large and active At-Large community involved. The
positions we have arrived at have been hotly debated and refined over
the months. This does not necessarily make them better than some
other position, but I feel strongly that they do represent the vast
majority of those in our community who have chosen to be involved in
this process.

2. It is easy to identify specific cases where ICANN Boards have made
what I believe to be poor decisions. In at lease some cases, they
have later agreed that perhaps some other path should have been
followed, so this is clearly a learning process. The Board can also
be cited for being less diverse and representative of the entire
world or Internet users than it might be. But from my perspective,
thanks partly to the good work of recent Nominating Committees, it is
far more diverse that some of the constituent bodies of ICANN. And it
is the ONLY body in ICANN that is charged with protecting the core
mission and values of ICANN as documented in its Bylaws. As such many
of us in At-Large feel that it SHOULD have the ultimate decision on
many issues, weighing the perspectives of the various other
stakeholders within ICANN. It is an essential component that adds
balance to the multistakeholder model.

3. If you look at the people and groups that have been advocating for
complete community control over the Board, it is illuminating. The
vast majority of those voices are from the US and, in one form or
another, represent powerful commercial stakeholders who have much at
stake related in the Internet Domain Name System. Is it any surprise
that they want power and control. That does not make them evil, and
many of these people are colleagues and friends. But it is natural
that they will strive to do what is best for their own communities.
Within At-Large, we have regularly taken the position that, to
paraphrase an old (mis)quote, what is best for General Motors is not
necessarily best for Internet users.

Alan