[At-Large] ICANN oversight

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Oct 10 18:39:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

I disgree that the At-Large has no effect.  I think the fact that we
have PICs at all is largely due to At-Large.  But for things to have
community level pressure it takes getting alliances and perseverance.
And yeah there is compromise.  But at-large when it focuses on a goal
and carries through.

On 10-Oct-15 10:38, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Speaking for myself only...

> On the ground, very little that ALAC does seems to policy-wise have
> much real consequence. On an issue that (by name!) impacted our
> community the most in the TLD expansion -- Public Interest Commitments
> -- we were ignored before it was invented, and rebuffed after we
> complained that it did not serve its claimed purpose. This was serious
> enough that we called for a freeze of new gTLD deliveries, which led
> to a series of high-level discussions that .... burned a lot of
> volunteer time before being shut down with no change.

Keep pushing for PIC compliance, you will succeed in the end. Use the
User Pulpit.

avri

---