[At-Large] ICANN oversight

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Oct 10 16:55:55 UTC 2015

On Oct 10, 2015 18:01, "parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> So, when you criticise the Board for not listening to you/ ALAC I am not
how to square that with this status quoist statement of ALAC, which refuses
to make any structural changes to the current power configuration.

> I am really even more puzzled. Will the real ALAC stand up!

First of all, let's be extremely clear. I don't for an instant claim to
represent the views of anyone, I have a hard enough time representing my
own. I currently have no leadership position within ALAC.

I have not been a part of the transition or accountability debates,  by
choice. I am of the personal opinion that not much can change, and that it
doesn't matter that much anyway. So long as the root servers operate
properly and the technical operations are maintained, ICANN can't do much
harm that it hasn't already done. The worst damage that ICANN can inflict
on end-users is already upon us, in such a way that undoing it would
require nothing less than international treaty.

The fundamental model of ICANN... financially dependent on the industry it
is supposed to regulate/oversee... does not appear up for review (let alone
overhaul). In the absence of that, spending more than minimal effort
arguing trivial transition details is a waste of volunteer resources. So I
have no problem with ALAC's apparent indifference.

But,  like you,  I offer these views from a distance.

- Evan