[At-Large] At-Large Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Sep 23 20:32:18 UTC 2015

Alan,

There are many precedents of how ccTLDs have been used as
pseudo-gTLDs. (.LY, .FM), some deliberately marketed that way (.CO,
.ME, .LA) as well as ccTLDs that *could* have been marketed that way
yet were limited by their registry (.IT and .US come to mind but I'm
sure that readers can think of others.)

The same thing can be done once ccTLD registries are given authority
over the three-letter ISO codes. If a registry operator has a use for,
say .CAN, it can make a pitch to the appropriate operator to use it as
a generic. if the offer is good enough and/or the ccTLD operator has
no specific plans, the registry operator can strike a deal that might
be cheaper and faster than going through the ICANN process. Obviously
deals like this have already been done in two-letter space.

So, none of the "generic-capable" 3-letter ISO codes need go to waste
if the will exists to use them, even if they are first assigned to the
CC operators. Doing it this way eliminates the need for the policing
requirement you indicated.

The alternative is allowing the usual free-for-all, waiting for the
next round and enduring a fairly complete, unmoving and successful set
of GAC objections. Might make this round's objection phase look simple
by comparison.

Why not be proactive on the matter rather than waiting for that?

- Evan