[At-Large] At-Large Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 23 19:18:54 UTC 2015

A couple of thoughts, not in response to any particular message in this list.

The concept of the alpha-3 codes being restricted was introduced,
somewhat out of the blue, in the New gTLD implementation. Some of
them are pretty recognizable as references to the country/territory,
some much less so. A few of them would likely to be pretty desirable
3-letter gTLDs.

I could easily live with them being available as gTLDs under the
provision that they could not be marketed or used as pseudo country
codes (So you could get GEO for the collectors of the now long-gone
General Motors car, but not to market as a country-related TLD for
Georgia. I have no idea how you could policie or enfoce that, or for
that matter, decide how some 3-letter codes could be made available
for generic use and some for real country codes.

So although I have a problem restricting what could be good codes for
g-use when they are unlikely to be used for cc-use, I am not sure it
is worth the effort to do it.

Alan