[At-Large] At-Large Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Sep 23 13:28:09 UTC 2015

Hello Tim & all,

I am not sure I'm 100% in agreement here. I have concerns that so far
we've had ccTLDs that were running country-related TLDs and now we might
see more Country Codes, this time 3-letter country codes, used and run
as gTLDs - hence falling under the remit of the GNSO = more US-based
legislation and less legislation that happens in the country itself.
This, to me, smells like a concentration of more power within ICANN's
walls, when if we insisted on keeping CCs (2 & 3 letters) in ccNSO
hands, wouldn't it do the opposite?
Kindest regards,

Olivier

On 23/09/2015 14:08, McTim wrote:
> +1 to Karl and John.
>
> Potential user confusion is not something I am concerned about as much
> as censorship and giving governments more sway inside ICANN.  The GAC
> has already won far too many concessions OUTSIDE the GNSO policy
> arena, we shouldn't give them any more for minor reasons.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
>

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com
> <mailto:karl at cavebear.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/22/2015 12:39 PM, John Levine wrote:
>
>         Every geographical area that's eligible for a country code has
>         a two
>         letter country code, and lots of existing software has special
>         cases to
>         treat two letter TLDs differently.  (Yes, we know about the IDNs.)
>         There are plenty of two letter codes left, they're not going
>         to run out.
>

>         I can think of no reason to reserve the remaining 3 letter
>         country codes
>         other than as a makework project for bureaucrats with too
>         little to do.
>         Surely we have enough of those already.
>

>     I fully agree with John Levine on this.
>
>             --karl--