[At-Large] At-Large Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains

Porteneuve Elisabeth (labo) elisabeth.porteneuve at latmos.ipsl.fr
Wed Sep 23 07:43:40 UTC 2015

Goodmorning,

Are "foreigners" native English speakers?

I do not believe anyone have problem to recognise Confédération
Helvétique - Swiss Confederation, using 4 official administrative
languages, that means: French, German, Italian and Romansh.

Khmer is the autonym for the language of the nation of Cambodia, similar
to Deutsch for the nation of Germany. Therefore .kh and .de, easy.

Apparently even native English speakers know "Full-length names (such as
.deutchland)" ;-)

 >     The codes that ICANN uses for ccTLDs, especially ones that are
 >     non-intuitive to foreigners (such as .ch for Switzerland, .za for
 >     South Africa or .kh for Cambodia) are based on an ISO standard, ISO
 >     3166-1 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1>, with one notable
 >     exception (use of ,uk when the ISO code for the United Kingdom is
GB).

Mathematicaly speaking you cannot have 250 alpha-2 codes, all of them
with 2 initial letters of country name in foreign language (English).
Not even with 2 inital letters corresponding to the autonym country name.

Best,
Elisabeth Porteneuve
(yes, I work for ISO 3166)
(no, I have no opinion about TLD names, not after 17 years of ICANN)