[At-Large] At-Large Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains

John Levine john.levine at cauce.org
Tue Sep 22 19:39:10 UTC 2015

> There are already 3-letter gTLDs that are conflicting with alpha-3 codes.

Whew, I thought I was the only person who noticed that.  COM is the
Comoros islands, that horse left the barn 30 years ago.

Every geographical area that's eligible for a country code has a two
letter country code, and lots of existing software has special cases to
treat two letter TLDs differently.  (Yes, we know about the IDNs.)  There
are plenty of two letter codes left, they're not going to run out.

I can think of no reason to reserve the remaining 3 letter country codes
other than as a makework project for bureaucrats with too little to do.
Surely we have enough of those already.

Regards,
John Levine, john.levine at cauce.org
CAUCE North America