[At-Large] At-Large Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Sep 22 10:19:49 UTC 2015

On 22 September 2015 at 11:43, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
wrote:

> On 22/09/2015 09:13, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>
> Having said this, I personally believe that there should be a moratorium
> of *any* new gTLD applications until a full evaluation of the effect of
> the current expansion is complete.
>
> Agreed - and there's another process to comment on wrt this topic.
> https://community.icann.org/x/zIdYAw

​As some may know I was once heavily involved in previous work regarding
metrics by which to evaluate the public utility of the gTLD expansion​;
indeed ALAC had to fight to include consumer metrics which the domain
industry wanted to avoid.

Even at this point I believe that, in the interest of inflicting a new
round of expansion on us ASAP, the domain industry is going to twist and
turn in order to paint the current expansion in an artificially positive
bias. This needs to be resisted in the name of accuracy and fairness.

IMO there are also lessons to be learned from the experiences of
communities that were marginalized (or completely shut out) regarding their
hopes for public-service gTLDs... I'm thinking .nyc, .gay and .music as
examples.These are not numeric metrics but IMO still factor into an overall
evaluation of whether the expansion served the public interest. In general
I think that the community evaluation process (and by extension the
applicant support program) were among the bigger failures of the process to
date.

Given my present circumstances I can't spare the time to be the main
pen-holder on this, however I have already committed to Carlton that I
would assist and give feedback once an initial draft statement is in place.

​- Evan​