[At-Large] [ALAC] [ALAC-Announce] CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the Draft Report: Review of the Generic Names Supporting Organization

Christopher Wilkinson cw at christopherwilkinson.eu
Wed Jul 22 19:00:54 UTC 2015

Dear Olivier:

Thankyou. Noted, but only just now. There are a major threshold issues. Particularly for those of us who are already spending a large part of the available time on other ICANN issues.

-	I do not quite understand where the document that we are invited to comment on is coming from. Is that a staff draft or and ALAC draft or something else?

-	I dipped into the Westlake report, but my printer managed pages 137 to 161 before stopping, not more, so I am really not  the much wiser.
 	(These monster documents really play to the criticism that the staff is trying to bury the issues in unmanageable detail.)

More generally, I consider that much of the CWG and CCWG attack on the ICANN Board's accountability can be traced back to self-interested and indefensible GNSO positions which the Board has endorsed uncritically on the basis of 'bottom up' policy developoment. Several aspects of the new gTLD program which have proved to be unsustainable and indefensible can be traced back to positions espoused by the Registry and Registrar community.

Regarding the structure of GNSO, I can only say that the NCUC etc. members, although claiming Civil Society affiliation have serially failed to identify and support the public interest or to rein in the commercial objectives of the Registries and Registrars.  Nom-com and other liaisons with GNSO appear not to have the necessary leverage.

ICANN's primary responsibility is the regulation of the conditions of fair competition in the DNS market. It has become clear that the community will not get anything like that from GNSO as presently structured.

I trust that this is clear and useful

Regards

CW

PS:	Now, how to distill my concerns into 'comments' into the document) Well, I regret that simply in terms of understanding how to manage the word-processing, I am convinced that I would waste a lot of time, failing.
	(Why do we use these complicated Google-esque re-drafting methods? They disenfranchise those who have never succeeded in using them.)