[At-Large] Jack Ma New Co-Chair of Global Internet Governance Alliance #AliBaba #GIGA

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jul 2 15:09:09 UTC 2015

OK, I'm confused.

We have the Netmundial Event, The Netmundul initiative (NMI) and now GIGA.

The three movers  of NMI are ICANN, the WEF and CGI.br.

GIGA is co-sponsored by ICANN, the Brazilian Internet Steering Committee
> and the World Economic Forum to provide a platform for the discussion of
> Internet governance solutions.

A​s far as I understood, the "Brazilian Internet Steering Commitee" *is*
CGI.br

​So what is the relationship between NMI and GIGA? Are they parallel orgs?
Was there a rename that I missed?

And Carlton said that

the Council has formally adopted the Terms of Reference of the NMI that led
> to the Sao Paulo event

​(In this context, NMI does *not* appear to refer to the ca​lamotous
"solution in search of a problem" NMI -- the one that ISOC and others have
refused to join -- formed AFTER the Sao Paulo event and seeming to share
few of its values. But rather, it seems to refer to the SP event's own
outcomes. Or do I have that wrong?)

On one hand, I read the news of Chinese participation -- its
acknowledgement of the goals and values of Netmundial -- and share
Carlton's optimism. On the other, I look around and see another new source
of needless confusion and redundancies that make the whole situation even
more impenetrable to non-insiders than before.
​

Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH

Em: evan at telly dot org