[At-Large] [governance] Cigar Box Governance

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Sun Mar 1 23:08:48 UTC 2015

Tom,

thanks for sharing this report. I found it really valuable.

It does seem that the management of .nyc has a lot of wiggle room - i.e. a broad space for discretionality, even arbitrariness, in the political and business directions of its policy and operation.

The report also reads somewhat disappointing regarding .nyc as a business. Is there a kind of cycle in which this questioning is replied to by saying "well, it's not pure business, it's community" and then, seeing the poor community uptake, that is replied to by saying "well, it's not pure community, it has to be a business after all"?

Also may I note that domain names like 125thstreet sound a bit less compelling than 125st? How many variants are going to be protected. What are the policies for familiar abbreviations like bedstuy vis a vis the official designation bedfordstuyvesant?

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org