[At-Large] Weekly posting summary for at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org
jjs at dyalog.net
Fri Jan 2 22:16:05 UTC 2015
my request is to be unsubscribed ONLY from the "Weekly posting summary" established by T. Narten, not from other elements on the At-Large lists (this is in answer to Seun's remark). My request is based on the following considerations:
1) This "summary" was considered by some in the ALAC as a metric of effective presence and work of its members (Carlton's remark). I have long questioned the validity of this approach, and still do. This measurement not have its equivalent, say on the ICANN Board, where the "360° Review" of Directors is carried out with other tools.
2) This form of statistical data has no qualitative value, as it may record a peak of correspondence from one ALAC or At-Large member giving family news and being congratulated by everyone else, or any other topic, for that matter.
3) Nominative tracking also raises the question of how such information may or may not be used for purposes it was or was not designed for, e.g. surveillance.
4) A minor point, but non-US citizens may have noticed that the "summary" is provided by, and emanates from, an address in a US corporation. In itself this is not a cause for concern, but some questions need to be answered: was there a decision to ask/grant any particular individual/firm to carry out this statistical/nominative tracking (date, reference), was this submitted to regular review and approval, is there a separate decision to grant this as a permanent authorization?
5) It is not desirable, nor fair, that members of the At-Large and/or ALAC lists cannot ask to be unsubscribed from one item (in this case the "Weekly posting summary") without being deleted from these lists for other items and debates.
6) It goes without saying, but I wish to make clear here, that my lack of enthusiasm for this "Weekly posting summary" is in no way a judgment on the value of its author, whom I worked with as a member of the ICANN Board, and whose experience and opinion I value.
----- Mail original -----
De: "Carlton Samuels" <carlton.samuels at gmail.com>
À: "Thomas Narten" <narten at us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Jean-Jacques Subrenat" <jjs at dyalog.net>, "At-Large Worldwide" <at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Envoyé: Vendredi 2 Janvier 2015 22:13:40
Objet: Re: [At-Large] Weekly posting summary for at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org
I beg to disagree these postings are not desirable and I will tell you why.
The ALAC has developed performance/engagement/utility metrics that, for better or worse, include elements that are displayed by this report.
Consider then this report an artful early warning device. I should think such a one is both good and necessary for ALAC members; shooting the messenger, or, 'disappearing' the message would hardly be curative.
I'm of a mind that only when the ALAC metrics are disavowed, then and only then one could reasonably insist this notification is unnecessary.
Carlton A Samuels
Strategy, Planning, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround
On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Thomas Narten < narten at us.ibm.com > wrote:
> this is to request that I be unsubscribed from this "At-Large weekly
> posting summary", which I find not useful.
Sorry, individual folk can't opt out of this message, as it's sent to
the list. Everyone on the list gets it, as they do all postings.
If it's the collective sense of this list that these postings are no
longer needed or desired, I will stop generating them.
> ----- Mail original -----
> De: "Thomas Narten" < narten at us.ibm.com >
> À: at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org
> Envoyé: Vendredi 2 Janvier 2015 06:53:04
> Objet: [At-Large] Weekly posting summary for at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org
> Total of 5 messages in the last 7 days.
> script run at: Fri Jan 2 00:53:04 EST 2015
> Messages | Bytes | Who
> 20.00% | 1 | 25.50% | 11120 | sylvia at internautabrasil.org
> 20.00% | 1 | 19.61% | 8550 | admin at ttcsweb.org
> 20.00% | 1 | 18.97% | 8273 | narten at us.ibm.com
> 20.00% | 1 | 17.98% | 7839 | louis.houle at oricom.ca
> 20.00% | 1 | 17.93% | 7819 | b.schombe at gmail.com
> 100.00% | 5 |100.00% | 43601 | Total
> At-Large mailing list
> At-Large at atlarge-lists.icann.org
> At-Large Official Site: http://atlarge.icann.org
At-Large mailing list
At-Large at atlarge-lists.icann.org
At-Large Official Site: http://atlarge.icann.org
More information about the At-Large