[At-Large] Fwd: [Chapter-delegates] 2015 Call for Nominations for the Internet Society Board of Trustees

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 03:40:01 UTC 2014

FYI

http://www.internetsociety.org/2015-call-nominations-internet-society-board-trustees

> 2015 Call for Nominations for the Internet Society Board of Trustees
>

> The Internet Society's (ISOC) Nominations Committee is accepting
applications from candidates interested in serving on the ISOC Board of
Trustees.* In this year’s election cycle one Trustee will be elected by
ISOC Organizational Members, one by ISOC Chapters. Two Trustees will also
be selected by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). The Trustee
positions are 3-year terms that start mid-year 2015 and expire mid-year
2018.

> The Internet Society (ISOC) is a global not-for-profit organization
founded in 1992 to provide leadership in Internet related standards,
education and policy. With offices in Washington, DC, and Geneva,
Switzerland, as well as regional bureaus located throughout the world, it
is dedicated to ensuring the open development, evolution, and use of the
Internet for the benefit of people globally. ISOC is also the
organizational home of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and other
Internet-related bodies who together play a critical role in ensuring that
the Internet develops in a stable and open manner. ISOC has more than 140
organizational members, over 100 chapters and more than 65,000 individual
members that play a role in driving the mission and work of the
organization. ISOC currently has an operational budget of USD 38 million.

> The ISOC Board of Trustees is responsible for the governance of the
organization, and its authority is derived from the organization’s by-laws
and policies. The composition of the Board includes 12 Trustees, 4 of whom
are elected by ISOC Organizational Members, 4 of whom are elected by
Chapters, and 4 selected by the IETF following the process documented in
RFC 3677.* Procedures for the selection of Trustees are available here .
The ISOC CEO and President serves ex-officio as a non-voting member of the
Board.

> Time Commitment
>
> Trustees are expected to commit the time necessary to perform regular
Board and committee business. Trustees are also expected to allocate time
to attend and prepare for meetings.

> Board Meetings: three physical meetings per year that are 2 days in
length plus travel time. These meetings are typically co-located with one
IETF meeting, one ICANN meeting, and one ISOC event each year.

> Strategic Planning Retreat: generally one per year over 2 days plus
travel time.

> Conference calls: generally three to four 2-hour teleconferences per year.
>

> Committees: participation in at least one committee.
>

> Email correspondence: while most Trustee work is conducted during board
and committee meetings and calls, there will be occasions when emerging
strategic and governance issues require participation of board members via
email discussions, polls and surveys.

> Eligibility Statement
>
> Candidates for ISOC Trustee will have demonstrable involvement in the
Internet with deep understanding in at least two of the following areas:

> Internet standards
> Internet operation
> Public policy for Internet and telecommunications
> Internet development
>

> Ideal candidates will also have a good understanding of broader
technology, policy, business and/or economic issues relevant to the Society.

> The following qualifications are also highly desirable:
>
> Previous board or leadership experience, especially for not-for-profit
entities
> Skills in organizational management and leadership
> Financial oversight and fund raising
> The ability to identify relevant ISOC projects and attendant community
engagement models
> Vision for the role of the Internet Society
>
> The ISOC Board of Trustees aims to be as broadly representative of the
many cultures and communities around the world that it can. While all
qualified candidates are welcome, we strongly encourage members from
currently under-represented areas to nominate candidates. In this light,
nominations of candidates from Africa, the Middle East and Central and
South America; younger candidates, women and those with the lived
experience of disability are encouraged.

> For additional information, see the FAQs about Internet Society Board
service.

> Timeline and Nomination Form
>
> Nominations should be sent to the Nominations Committee using the
following forms. Self-nominations and third party nominations are welcome.
Please be sure to include a Statement of Interest and a Resumé or one-page
narrative biography. Please indicate whether you consider the nominee a
candidate to be elected by the Organizational Members, the Chapters, or
both. Nominations will close on December 20, 2014.