[At-Large] [ALAC] The usual spam argument, was Fwd: A million domains

John Levine john.levine at cauce.org
Wed Jul 16 23:59:22 UTC 2014

> Why is it that it should be considered a given that users know how to deal
> with spam and know about MUAs, but on the other hand we assume that they
> will be victims of all kind of Internet frauds?

Because that matches our experience.  I talk to bank security people and
law enforcement a lot.

I believe that you are sometimes on connections where data transfer is
expensive.  But I don't think that situtation is so common that we need to
globally optimize for it, and I also think that if the bandwidth of
downloading spam is a problem, hiding your WHOIS e-mail address won't make
the problem go away.

Regards,
John Levine, john.levine at cauce.org
CAUCE North America

Tech tip: set up your mail program to use IMAP rather than POP, and
configure it to download only the interesting folders for offline
operation.  Pretty much every phone and tablet mail program works this
way, and desktop programs like Outlook and Thunderbird can do it, too.