[At-Large] What happens next re: IANA Stewardship (was: Re: [ALAC-Announce] VOTE RESULT: Candidate Endorsement: NTIA IANA Functions' Stewardship Transition Coordination Group)

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Jul 15 17:27:48 UTC 2014

Dear At-Large members,

as you know, the ALAC has endorsed the selection of Mohamed El Bashir
and Jean-Jacques Subrenat as its representatives on the NTIA IANA
Functions' Stewardship Transition Coordination Group. The Coordination
Group will meet in London on Thursday 17 and Friday 18 July 2014.
I would like to thank all of the candidates who sent their Expression of
Interest to the Selection Committee. The choice was hard to make because
all candidates had the qualities we were looking for in candidates - but
the selected candidates were the most suitable for the task for various
factors.
I would also like to thank the members of the Selection Committee (
https://community.icann.org/x/QpDhAg ) for taking the time so soon after
an ICANN meeting to read through all of the Expressions of Interest,
debate on-line and actively take part in the conference call to make the
final selection.

Having corresponded with Mohamed and Jean-Jacques since their selection,
they are booked to come to London and have read through all of the
currently available data to be fully prepared for the two days. They
have assured me that they are also reading other (non-ICANN) fora to be
fully aware of the proposals and mood of the first meeting.
I also invite you to read the IANA stewardship micro-site:
https://www.icann.org/stewardship

Now the work re: NTIA Functions starts for the ALAC and the At-Large
Community.

The Coordination Group is a group that will coordinate the work of all
of the communities involved in the putting together of a proposal (or a
set of proposals) for the replacement of the NTIA role in the
stewardship of the IANA functions. This will need to be fed with the
consensus positions of the At-Large Community - and we therefore need to
work in our community to reach consensus on all of the points that will
be raised. We might also need to think creatively to make proposals of
our own. Most of all, we will have to, as a community, be very vigilant
in making sure that proposals brought forward by the other stakeholders
at the Coordination Group are fair and serve the public interest. Our
"Ambassadors" Jean-Jacques & Mohamed will need to be our ears but also
our voice in this Coordination Group and I hope that we will all be able
to work closely with them.

The ALAC has created an ad-hoc working group to focus on these issues
and in order to keep our main mailing lists free from what is likely to
be a high clutter of discussions, starting in the next few days.
https://community.icann.org/x/OYThAg
This working group and its mailing list is open for all At-Large members
to join. You may join the mailing list through:

Its purpose will be to articulate the At-Large positions that will then
be made available to our representatives on the Coordinating Group &
other fora.

There are other parallel threads that will take place simultaneously.
One of them is the creation of a Cross Community Working Group (CCWG) on
the IANA Functions' Stewardship Transition. This is in the process of
being created by the various component organisations of ICANN. Leon
Sanchez & Tijani Ben Jemaa are our current representatives helping with
the drafting of the charter of this working group (with Julie Hammer,
our SSAC Liaison also being part of the Charter Drafting Team). Once the
Charter will be drafted, the ALAC will, like other component parts of
ICANN, need to ratify it and then will need to send participants to the
CCWG. I expect that in addition to Jean-Jacques and Mohamed whom I will
encourage to join this group simply for them to be well aware of its
work, we will need candidates to *drive* the values of our community in
the CCWG. It is thought that the CCWG on IANA Functions will probably
focus on a proposal for the stewardship of the "Names" function of IANA
- but this is yet to be established or discussed.

Aside from this process, there is also a process of an ICANN-wide ICANN
accountability working group (currently in formation). In London, the
Board has resolved to implement the Accountability & Transparency Review
Team (ATRT2) recommendations and this working group is very likely to be
a driving factor for a follow-up on ICANN accountability that is likely
to exceed the limits of the ATRT2. As a reminder, the ATRT2 was limited
in scope to the markers in the Affirmation of Commitments (AoC). So this
new working group is likely to be very important indeed and I have
already received emails from several of you who would like to take part
in its deliberations.

Question: How will we feed this ICANN-wide working group? By creating
our own accountability working group or should we hand the work to one
of our already established working groups?

As of today, it is still unclear how the ICANN Accountability & the IANA
Functions working groups will interface. I expect there will be an
overlap in membership and there is likely to be a strong link between
the two topics. Yet, they are taken as two separate threads, as I am
told that both will require plenty of work. But I fully support that
there should be strong communication and coordination between the two
topics. The ICANN Accountability working group is a bit late on its
original schedule and SO/AC Chairs have sent an email to the Staff
person in charge of the process to obtain clarification on progress.
Expect news in the next few days!

If you are a little confused about all of these things happening at
once, then please have a look at the diagram displayed on which can give
you a better picture of how all of the working groups function together:

        How all the IANA Functions Stewardship and Accountability
        working groups relate to each other (PDF)
        <https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/48333881/ICANN%20working%20groups.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1405444119940&api=v2>

        How all the IANA Functions Stewardship and Accountability
        working groups relate to each other (JPG)
        <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Ad-hoc+WG+on+the+Transition+of+US+Government+Stewardship+of+the+IANA+Function>

This is not meant to be a flow chart. It is not meant to be an accurate
flow of information or how these groups will function. It is just an
overall representation of how many groups there are, which ones are
ICANN community only, which ones are At-Large, which ones are
Internet-wide. Things have moved so quickly in the past few weeks that
this diagram might soon be obsolete anyway, but hopefully we'll be able
to understand more once the first meeting of the Coordination Group has
taken place.

Right now, think about joining the At-Large ad-hoc working group on
https://community.icann.org/x/OYThAg

I'll keep you all up to date as soon as we learn more about this
exciting and historical process.

Kindest regards,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
ALAC Chair