[At-Large] [ALAC] Fwd: A million domains taken down by email checks

John Levine john.levine at cauce.org
Sun Jul 6 18:05:54 UTC 2014

> Evan, one point. It is unclear to me whether the issue is 100% invalid
> addresses, or as some people have implied, valid addresses where the
> registrant has not replied in 15 days. The two situations are substantively
> different, and we need to get a handle on which is the cause of these
> suspensions, or if mixed, what percentage. If someone on this list *knows*
> definitively what the answer is, it would be much appreciated.

As the sub-registrar of one of those 800,000 domains, I can report that
the confirmation mail has a link you have to click to confirm that you got
it.  It is not a big deal.  If you don't click on the link in the original
message, they send multiple reminders.

I strongly endorse everything that Evan said, and also reiterate that this
is basically about money: registrars not wanting to spend anything to
comply with the RAA that they and the registrants agreed to.

Regards,
John Levine, john.levine at cauce.org
CAUCE North America