[At-Large] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Report: Supporting the Domain Name Industry in Underserved Regions

Lance Hinds brainstreetceo at gmail.com
Fri May 16 09:43:39 UTC 2014

This is of critical importance. These regions play very little part in the
management of the Internet space. The last round of applications for gTLD
was a case in point.

This is an opportunity to support and facilitate development,
entrepreneurship and, dare I say it, revenue generation (Carlton this might
be good for the IT Expo in Suriname next month). Curious as to ALAC's role
in this however.   This ideally will end up being a commercial activity or
at least some kind of private sector/NGO hybrid (ugh). How does it gel with
ALAC's overall responsibility towards the interests of the average user?

Lance

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> This was brought up in the At-Large Skype chat (by me).
>
> The thrust this time seems to be on increasing the numbers of registrar in
> the developing world, now that the original proposal to base more gTLDs
> there (the applicant support program) has been a high-profile failure.
>
> I support such an effort, so long as it's not just of a colonial bent (that
> is, growth of a channel of what are essentially agents for rich-world
> registries). I would support an effort of this kind so long as it
> encouraged growth of a registrar sector that:
>
> a) provided added value beyond that of just reselling domains;
> b) was encouraging the use of domestic domains (ie, local ccTLDs) as well
> as the global generics.
>
> In any case, given its interest in the issue, participation by ALAC is
> worthwhile here, and I suggest its inclusion on the next ALAC conference
> call. I offer to help with such a comment; having said that, we also need
> involvement from At-Large people within the targeted communities. Perhaps
> we can so something jointly with AfrICANN (if it's not already engaged)?
>
> - Evan
>

> On 15 May 2014 10:55, Maureen Hilyard <hilyard at oyster.net.ck> wrote:
>
> > +1, Maureen

Lance Hinds
Chief Technology Officer
BrainStreet Group
287 'C' Albert St.
Georgetown Guyana

This message contains information that may be privileged and/or
confidential and is the property of BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet
Learning. The information contained herein is intended only for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to
receive it . If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized
to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or take  any action
in reliance to the contents of this information or any part thereof and it
may be unlawful to do so. If you receive this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message from
your system. BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet Learning are neither
liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information
contained in this communication nor any delay in its receipt.