[At-Large] R: [EURO-Discuss]

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 8 07:48:25 UTC 2014

Thanks for the information Roberto

It is an unusual structure in governance terms, where the more usual case is a Board and Chair being above the CEO, for many reasons, not least the one you have articulated.

On the issue of IANA, one of my yet fully formed  concepts would be to increase accountability WITHIN ICANN rather than create new structures.

My first impressions (years ago now) of the ICANN structure was that the registrars/registries - ICANN (i.e., the contracted parties - revenue source) are at the centre of the structure.  I’d rather have the openness, safety and security of the Internet at the heart of the structure, with the possibility of ALL interested parties (ALAC, SACC, GAC, even IETF) having some kind of veto power as well instead of just the ‘contracted parties’.  It would increase accountability and spread the power - and responsibility and even blame - more evenly.  And in that structure, a perhaps differently configured Board - without the CEO.  And in that model, with more power to the Advisory Committees BEFORE matters get to the Board, there would be less importance in Board seats.

Just a thought...

Holly