[At-Large] [lac-discuss-es] R: [EURO-Discuss] [APAC-Discuss] VOTE RESULTS: 2014 At-Large Board Director (Seat #15) Selection Process

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 18:55:51 UTC 2014

Roberto:
I too believe what you're proposing is not just sensible but strategic and
in the overarching At-Large interest.

Maybe its because of my position that on principle, I simply cannot accept
that in matters of governance and when part of a distant group and with
respect to decision-making, the representative should be obliged to 'take
 the whip' - meaning follow the instructions - of his/her group.  This is
my position regardless of the size of the electorate; whether popularly
elected or not, I have greats doubts that one can ever be confined & judged
as truly reflecting the wishes of the constituency.

Indeed at the onset, a few of us thought the liaison role properly
configured may likely have a more sustainable interest for the At-Large
than the single voting director.  So while we are largely agreed, I have
one quibble with your characterisation of the role of the NomCom; that set
of criteria utilised for selection of directors.

In your estimation of this new role for the Board, I would hope that space
for more guidance is calculated so there is a balance in criteria between
persons having experience on 'large corporate boards' than those without.
And I say this in context of likely interpretation of  the meaning of
'large'. For depending on who defines 'large', a whole set of likely
participants from my side of the world will enter the process already
disadvantaged.  And that does not augur well for participation at that
level for those of us at the edge of empire.

Best,
-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799