[At-Large] Paper: ICANN/IANA functions and structure

h.raiche at internode.on.net h.raiche at internode.on.net
Mon Mar 24 21:21:06 UTC 2014

 Thanks for this - it will certainly help in our thinking

 Holly

 On Mon 24/03/14 7:37 PM , Ellen Strickland ellen at internetnz.net.nz
sent:
 Dear all,

 Attached is a paper prepared by InternetNZ staff called "ICANN/IANA:
Role
 and Structural Considerations".

 In the document we explore the various parts of the NTIA role that
the
 multistakeholder process now underway needs to build a new settlement
 around. We make some comments regarding the importance of a
transition to a
 new settlement that deals with *all* aspects of the NTIA role - they
are
 interlinked and only dealing with one part creates risks to the
stability
 of the ecosystem.

 There are several diagrams attached that disaggregate the relevant
DNS
 functions - policy, operations, oversight and so on - and that then
show
 the institutional locations of those functions today.
 Then further diagrams set out some options for future institutional
 arrangements for these functions.

 The intention is to stimulate debate and discussion about:
 * what is and isn't part of the transition
 * the wide range of solutions available for the institutional aspect
of the
 new settlement

 I hope this is a constructive contribution.

 Best regards
 Ellen Strickland

 Collaboration and Community Lead
 *InternetNZ*

 *To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its
potential.*

 --
 Ellen Strickland

 Collaboration and Community Lead
 *InternetNZ*

 +64 4 495 2118 (office) +64 21 261 6094 (mob)
 ellen at internetnz.net.nz [1]
 Skype: ellenstrickland

 *To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its
potential.*

 At-Large Official Site: http://atlarge.icann.org [4]

Links:
------