[At-Large] Traditional Cultural Expressions #ICANN #WIPO

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 08:13:25 UTC 2014

Hi Hong, Parminder and Others,

Hong - I remember hearing an Academic speak on the matter but was not sure
where they are from. I would be grateful if you could share the link to the
report if it is available and only if you have it as I am interested in
reading it.

Parminder - there will always be many things to improve within ICANN where
global public interest is concerned and we need to navigate through the
system. The At Large for sometime has been raising objections but there are
mechanisms that we need to work through.

On the issue of AMAZON and PANTAGONIA there are some additional
considerations that also have ambit outside of ICANN. That is where
organisations may have applied for Intellectual Property rights over names
such as these. That would add the additional conflict and barrier. Which is
why when we and if we decide that we would like to commission a study in
this area, how we frame the questions will also be critical.

It is also important that we identify whether there is a distinction
between TCEs and Geographical names. The conservative view will say that
the two are separate and distinct and the liberal view would see them as
one,

At some stage care should be taken to identify how the proprietary rights
should be prioritize etc.

For those who might have missed it the current Draft Articles in WIPO on
TCEs were shared in the first email on this discussion thread in terms of
the URL or link.

Kind Regards,
Sala