[At-Large] Traditional Cultural Expressions #ICANN #WIPO

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 07:10:33 UTC 2014

Dear Wolf, Satish, Seth and All,

Now that we agree - the next question is in how we deal with the matter.
Certainly there should be a study done in this area that is in depth to
allow us to have an informed view and develop a strategy to protect TCEs.

On the question on "Amazon" and Pantagonia", if there was a study
commissioned care should be taken to frame the scope of the study. This
also depends on how we perceive Geographical names  and there are two
possible views:

View 1: They fall under TCEs or under Geographical names that may have a
link to culture
View 2: They do not fall under TCEs

This then leads to the more questions:

1) what is the scope of TCEs
2)how should we define them in the context of what is relevant for ICANN?
3) Is the Draft Article in WIPO in keeping with At Large's view of TCEs?

Kind Regards,
Sala