[At-Large] Fwd: [Soac-infoalert] Board Committee Agendas

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 03:34:18 UTC 2013

So let see what will happen. According to my impression at the call on TMCH
& IDN on June 19, ICANN is yet to prepare to take any action to address our
concerns. Understandably, ICANN has not sorted out how to handle the
variants TLDs at this stage.

Staff highlighted 3 Options reviewed and discussed by the community when it
came to implementing the Clearinghouse:
1) To implement one set of variant rules and apply it to all the trademarks
in the Clearinghouse;
2) To implement the variant rules defined by each registry individually;
3) Continue to allow for implementation of variant rules at the registry
level.

The status quo is 1) is not viable in short term (not for this round of new
gTLDs perhaps) and 3) has nothing to do with ICANN. Regarding 2), staff
don't addres whether ICANN and ICANN-accredited TMCH providers would
provide any assistance for "each" registry.

Most obviously at all, none of the options accommodate our suggestion on
language "community-based" solution.

Hong