[At-Large] US Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 #Internet Sales Tax

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Mar 25 04:34:05 UTC 2013

On 24 Mar 2013, at 19:30, John R. Levine wrote:

>>  1. Is the business of selling domain names subject to "sales tax"?
>
> No.

Besides I thought the names were not sold but rather that use were licensed with right of renewal.
I admit that to non lawyer like me the difference is tenuous.  But there is a difference. I am sure.

>>  2. Do you have Registrars or resellers positioned across different parts
>>  of the United States?
>
> Yes, but it's irrelevant.

what does irrelevance have to do with anything?
why is it relevant?

>>  3. Are their core businesses "taxable"?
>
> No.

Well sort of depends on what their core business is.
Well actually isn't it income and assets that are taxable?

> What does this have to do with ICANN or anything related to NARALO?

Well somebody at ICANN on the At-Large list thought it was interesting and the At-Large list is sort off a catch-all for things people think are interesting that might-maybe-could have a relationship to ICANN stuff.

And if they really are not going to affect ICANN stuff, then maybe an explanation would have been a cool thing to offer.

cheers

avri