[At-Large] protecting domain speculators from oversight

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jan 24 20:47:30 UTC 2013

On 24 January 2013 15:23, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> On 01/24/2013 07:46 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
> > Hi, Karl.  Could you just answer the question without changing the topic?
>
> You are not very polite.

Blunt, maybe, but i saw no personal insult. And, as a someone for whom the
US Second Amendment is Someone Else's Problem, I tire of the comparison of
domain names to guns and find it wholly inappropriate. So I'll support John
in ridiculing the analogies.

Neither speculation nor vanity is unlawful.  Nor in many eyes are
> they wrong or undesirable.

"Vanity is an excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with
the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the
sin from which all others
arise."<http://dahlig.deviantart.com/art/The-Seven-Deadly-Sins-VANITY-13310012>

Hell, I'm an atheist and I agree with that -- and with at least most of
John's characterizations.

I tend to see domain speculation as no different from ticket scalping -- an
act of re-sale totally devoid of added value. In the case of ticket
scalping, the activity is considered unethical and indeed illegal in many
jurisdictions.

- Evan