[At-Large] [APAC-Discuss] R: France Proposes Internet Tax - Old War Resurfacing

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Jan 22 19:40:18 UTC 2013

Nice in theory, and indeed your country's choice. But it doesn't exactly
help your global competitiveness if yours is the only country on Earth that
charges users for casual Gmail/Gchat/Gmaps use.

Of course, global competitiveness may not be a national goal. But, frankly,
from this distance the effort looks like a case of calling attention to
foreigners to divert attention from
much<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21102391>
bigger <http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2013/01/india-and-pakistan>
domestic <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21053432>
problems<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21033968>,
and a nuclear-armed next-door neighbour whose 24-hour news channels scream
headlines such as "more Pak barbarism" (saw that myself).

IOW, going after Google appears the least of your national policy issues.
Heck my country does this kind of politically-motivated diversion all the
time, though in Canada at this time the stake appear somewhat ... lower.

> It may be a challenge to freedom of expression but corporations do not necessarily
represent the freedoms of individual internet users.

Not necessarily. But maybe in this case it is.

Just MHO.

- Evan