[At-Large] R: France Proposes Internet Tax - Old War Resurfacing

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:27:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:54 AM, Roberto Gaetano <
roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sala,
> Although I agree with you that this French proposal can reopen the "old
> war"
> of internet taxation, it should be pointed out that the proposed tax is not
> on commercial transactions, i.e. it is not a trade tax, but a "fee" for
> collecting personal information.

I agree. What I meant to say was the idea of taxation of the internet is
not new and merely pointed to the history, what is interesting is how this
is evolving. It is also interesting that not too long ago the French
Government also came out strong against the ISPs reminding them that they
have no right to edit web content as far as online advertisements are going
and with the report we can now see why. From a revenue authority viewpoint,
a commercial transaction is any transaction where "benefit" is derived.

In light of this development, it's interesting particularly when we see the
evolution of revenue production shift more towards content.

> So, besides the financial implication there are other subjects that this
> proposal raises. Maybe that warrants also a discussion.

There's an interesting paper by Huston on Carriage vrs Content