[At-Large] FW: Withdraw the gun database

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:34:48 UTC 2013

Actually Holly, I didn't plan further interventions in this thread -
happily so! - since the debate was going along swimmingly on all fronts.
 But I have to take issue with your input on the 2nd Amendment.

The 2nd Amendment debate has always been careful to exclude the historical
context, if only because it ain't pretty. As is usual with claims to
greater moral standing, the facts are more nuanced than the popular
hagiography is selling and would have you believe.

The scholarship is replete.  When you look at the several drafts by
Madison, it centred around two words "nation" vs. "state" and the notion of
a "militia" vs "slave patrols".  Ask yourself, why would men subject
themselves to such ignominy? The fact is they rebelled many times, burned,
killed and murdered in favour of their freedom. The militia or, if you
like, slave patrols, were legal instruments of terror and containment all
over the South.  These were the 'well regulated militias' of both myth and
fact who held the balance of terror and kept slaves in check.  And, subject
of this 2nd Amendment.

There are good people everywhere. So some were unwilling to partake.  The
anti-slavery coalition centred in the  North, in the state of Massachusetts
- see William Seward for example: '*since all men are the sons of Adam they
are co-heirs, with equal rights unto liberty*' -, believed to destroy
slavery meant dismantling and disallowing the slave patrols.  So they tried
several ways to that objective.

The Virginian Patrick Henry,  he of '*give me liberty or give me death*'
fame, was on principle opposed to slavery.  But he, a man of his time and
place, simply could not go all the way and advocate freedom for slaves.
 He, along with George Mason,  forcefully argued for preservation of the
militias.  This was the make-or-break issue for the Virginians, those
enlightened stalwarts for liberty and justice for all, for their votes to
affirm the constitution of the United States. [The companion determinant
was that black people was only 3/5ths human.]

This amendment was actually configured to gain Virginia's vote for the
United States Constitution and expressly to preserve the right of slave
patrols - the 'militias' regulated by law in slave states - to keep and
bear arms, thusly prolonging the 'peculiar institution'.

For those of you who might wish to be re-educated, you can access Madison's
several drafts of the 2nd Amendment.  Or, if you want to know more, you
might wish to read A. Leon Higginbotham's "In The Matter of Color: Race and
the American Legal Process -The Colonial Period".  If you don't wish to get
all bogged down in the abstruse legal stuff, then try Howard Zinn's "A
People's History of the United States". Look carefully at the sources
referred in both books.  For some of them are now available online,
courtesy of Google.

Hell, its always better for a man to choose his poison.
-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799