[At-Large] Brief Update About Capacity Building in the Pacific

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 18:52:40 UTC 2012

Dear All,

*

*Youth TechCamp*

We recently hosted a 7 day Youth Tech Camp see:
http://youthtechcamp.brightpathfoundation.org/ where the first Module was
on Introduction to ICT and Internet Governance and we had excellent
facilitation from the likes of APNIC and a guest speaker from ICANN.
Benjamin Mathews and I took the youth through critical building blocks and
we organised learning from a Pacific perspective.

These youth which included high school students, tertiary students and
professionals under 35, I must admit the oldest one was 55 (it showed that
people could not be kept away as they were equally eager to learn)
developed key policy considerations on various challenges for 7 countries.
100 participants came from around 8 countries from around the Pacific. The
material they developed will be sent to the various countries.

This is part of a long term development strategy to build capacity so they
can be active contributors in their countries, the Pacific region and
global forums as well.

** **

Module 2 was a Mobile App Development Training where youth were encouraged
to harness local content and whilst the youth made lots of pitches, they
settled for 5 and the youth worked on creating them and we had an awesome
and fantastic time. The Apps were all civic apps (that was how the youth
wanted it) :):) We had 80 participants in this Module.****

We also had Side Events which included Executive Briefings on Internet
Exchange Points which was well attended by stakeholders in Fiji and a Women
in Tech Event which had the theme - Game Changers: The Role that Girls and
Women Play in Development.

** **

The camp was also covered by the national and regional news, see:
http://www.pasifikanexus.nu/media/press/****

** **

Warm Regards,

--