[At-Large] RES: Perpetual Copyright on 'Foreign' Goods!

Vanda UOL vanda at uol.com.br
Fri Nov 2 18:31:18 UTC 2012

As I know ( I have been president of Brazilian Patent Office and responsible
to approve the new IP law under TRIPs) yes, it does, this is a principle we
call parallel import. The protection is focusing on the capacity to ones (
not only copyright,  goods too) to avoid the formal contracted distribution
in another country (which channel allow any price you would like to sell)and
buy for a better price outside the country.
For goods it´s applied mostly to developing countries to allow the control
of the price the merchandize will be sold in such country.  If you can
import ( or download) from other outside the country, and not buy for the
formal distributor,  you will certainly have better price than you have
inside the country.
Best