[At-Large] gTLD Review Group decisions regarding the comments by IT for Change, India

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Oct 11 16:16:48 UTC 2012

> Without commenting on the merits of "private gTLDs", the "exemption"
> being discussed is not in relation to who may register 2nd level
> names in the TLD. It is addressing whether the Registry needs to use
> ICANN accredited Registars to effect registrations. Essentially, it
> is saying you must use an ICANN accredited Registrar unless all
> registrations are solely for the use of the Registry or its affiliates.

Good point.  A few minutes looing at the applications at
http://gtldresult.icann.org would have revealed that all of the
single-registrant applications do say that they'll go through a registrar.

The registrar exemption was proposed for the non-profit .museum and
perhaps .coop TLDs, who have said that the complicated multistep
registration process has made it too hard for many eligible registrants,
particularly small ones who do not speak fluent English.

If someone thinks that single-registrant domains for commercial brands are
a bad idea, I'd think that the question would be whether they're
compatible with ICANN's public interest mandate.  Take a look at
1-1845-68316 (.MUTUALFUNDS), 1-1302-76087 (.BEAUTY), and 1-1085-40392
(.CONNECTORS), for example.

Regards,