[At-Large] [technical-issues] Verisign files a patent on domain transfers

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Oct 8 09:42:50 UTC 2012

    Michele said:

    As a registrar I raised this issue with Dr Crocker a couple of
    years ago and it was pretty clear to me at the time that the
    entire transfer thing hadn't really been thought about. However
    transfers are pretty "key" to domains.. People do it all the time
    - be that a simple change of nameservers, hosting provider or
    registrar..

As far as I know the basic poblem to keep dnssec working during
transfers and some possible solutions was first described in 2003(*)
and had been discussed in various fora.

    To think that someone would actually slap a patent on something
    like this is truly depressing (ok, maybe I need more coffee).

I haven't read the claim so don't know what it is really about. It
ain't the first patent claim on DNS and I expect that there will be
more.

	jaap

(*) <http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/downloads/publications/dnssec/dnssecnl/secreg-report.pdf>